EV’s are Wrongfully Charged with Higher Operating Costs by Auto Industry Insiders



Are electric cars more expensive to operate than gasoline powered cars? 

By Michael Coppola
and Nancy Williams

If you Google the question above you will get some very recent articles that claim that electric vehicles (EV) are more expensive to operate than internal combustion engine vehicles (ICE). One of these articles was sent to me by a friend who knew I had recently received my Ford Mustang Mach-E.
 
Being a proud “Car Guy,” I excessively research a car before I make my purchase. Therefore, prior to placing the order for my all-electric Mustang Mach-E, I spent months reading dozens of articles and viewing dozens of YouTube videos on everything related to electric vehicles. Being both an environmentalist and a degreed scientist my research included not just the features of the car but its impact on the environment and the science and engineering behind the development of the batteries and vehicle.
 
I read the article that was sent to me, The Real Costs of Charging an Electric Vehicle a rather short article and immediately noticed that it was contradicting much of my previous research and what I now know to be true from actually owning and using an EV everyday. She grossly over stated many costs, including the cost to install a 240v outlet, typically a dryer outlet at $3,500 and making claims that the EV’s need constant maintenance to ensure the battery charges properly.
 
I also found several more recent articles and to my surprise some were claiming that EV’s were more expensive to operate than ICE vehicles. One in particular was based on a report by a consulting company analyst for the auto industry, Patrick Anderson who has worked with the auto industry for 20 years. It was very critical of EV’s Electric car charging cost vs. gas: Study shows EVs still cost more (freep.com) Again there was a lot of unsubstantiated data as well as misinformation about EV’s. Such as inflated cost for installing electrical outlets that already exist in residential homes; unrealistic mpg and gas price for the ICE car.  This article allowed comments so I read the many comments posted and saw that all but one commenter called the article out as being BS. Detroit Free Press
 
Which begs the question, are the American auto makers really committed to phasing out the production of ICE cars and going full ahead with EV’s? I think the auto industry, although making inroads to building more EV’s is not quit ready to let go of its money making ICE market. And the oil industry is aligned with that position. So it doesn’t surprise me that we are seeing propaganda from both meant to slow the demand for EV’s.
 
Auto dealerships make a lot of their profits from maintenance and extended warrantees. With an EV there is no need for oil changes, no complex engines and transmissions to repair or replace. There are only small items like brakes, tires and wiper blades that need maintenance. With the regenerative brake systems that use the braking power of the motor changing to a generator it will take a long time to wear out the brake pads. It’s obvious to me the kind of profits the auto industry stand to lose with increasing sales of EV’s.
 
If you are considering replacing your vehicle with an EV what follows is the real story of owning an EV:
 
Let’s start off with the fear the media generated with the term “range anxiety.” I purchased the base model of the Mustang Mach-E, which Ford terms the Select model, with the smaller battery pack. Ford puts the maximum range at 230 miles. Ford recommends that you should avoid draining the charge below 10% or recharging it to above 90%, because it shortens the life of the battery pack. If we use the 230 mile max and the 10% to 90% charging guideline then you would get a 184 miles estimated useful range. So should I have even greater range anxiety with only 184 mile range?

According to the US government statistics the average number of miles driven by a US driver is 30 miles per day which is consistent with my daily driving. My longest day trip thus far was a round trip of 105 miles but I only used 90 miles of estimated range on that trip. (As other drivers have reported Ford’s system for estimating miles available is on the conservative side.) Of course, how you drive and the environmental conditions will effect how much charge is used per mile. I use “engaged” mode with one-pedal drive which maximizes the regenerative braking recharge system. On one small trip of 15 miles I returned with a few more miles than what I had when I left! Although it sounds like I am defying the laws of physics it has to do with the regenerative breaking which adds power to the batteries. Although it is also due to a less than perfect estimating system used to calculate the stored mileage as well as changes in environmental conditions that will vary the battery pack’s capacity to hold a charge.
 
So, do I have range anxiety? No. Not for 98% of the driving I do. I won’t report on long distance traveling and using charging stations because I simply have not had the occasion to travel beyond my round trip range. But using my Ford Pass app I can check the cost at thousands of charging stations. What I found is that rates vary from free to 40 cents per KWH. The cost of a trip beyond your estimated range depends on how well you plan and where you are going.
 
If you want to have an accurate comparison of the cost of having an EV to an ICE you must include the cost of charging it at home, not just only charging on the road.  So let’s see what it actually costs to charge your vehicle at home. There are 3 levels of charging available from your home. Level 1 uses a standard 120v outlet which will have either a 15 or 20 amp circuit; level 2 is a 240v outlet with a range from 30 to 50 amps. Typical home electric dryer outlets are 30 amps; level 3 uses 480v fast chargers to convert your AC current to DC current matching the type of electricity of the battery, allowing for a very fast charge using an amps range from 50 to 80.
 
Well let’s get to the cost of charging my Mustang Mach-E. My electric rate is $.1108 per KWH. Charging on my 120 15 amp circuit I consume 1.8 KWH. 1 hour of charge cost me $.20. Since I get 4 miles in an hour of electric use it cost me $.05 per mile. The US government states that the average gas mileage of all cars, SUV’s and light trucks is 22mpg.  If we use the 22mpg, to travel 30 miles it would take 1.5 gallons of gas. If we use regular gas at $3.25 per gallon the cost per mile is $.15, which is 3 times more expensive than charging at home on a 120 15 amp outlet. The cost to travel the 30 miles is $4.50 for the ICE vehicle and $1.50 for the EV.
 
Just a few importing things one should know about charging a battery. To keep the battery in the best condition so it can work the best and last the longest, charging is best done slow and with low amperage current. Thus far I have only used a 120v 15 amp outlet to charge. It is charging at a rate of 4 miles per hour which is slow but always gives me the amount of charge I need. With a little
 planning I have always been able to have enough time to get the battery up to at least 200 miles and many times to 220 miles. The Ford Pass app that runs on my phone is very useful for this. It allows me to monitor the charging level; start and stop remotely the charging and precondition the car, that is get it to the cabin temperature I want while it is charging thus avoiding using the battery storage to get it to the temperature I want.
 
If in the future a need arises to charge faster, I can plug it into my 240v 30 amp dry outlet which is within reach of the nice long cable Ford provides. I just change the 120 adapter to the 240 adapter.  If you needed to install a 240v outlet you would need to pay an electrician. (I can not imagine ever needing a DC fast charger. It is not the case that you can never use them but they should be used only when you are on the road and must get a large amount of mileage on your battery in a very short time.) A note on DC fast charging; Ford and all EV makers caution on using them because they will significantly shorten the life of the battery. Ford does sell a home DC faster charge for $799. You would more than likely need an electrician to connect the unit to you electrical system. Cost will vary based upon where it is installed in relation to your electrical panel.
 
In the real world where you will do 95% or more charging at home the EV is much cheaper to operate and maintain. If part of the charging is being done during reduced rate periods and or you are signed up for your utility’s special EV program the cost per mile becomes even less.
 
My Mustang Mach-E replaced my Mustang GT so my routine when pulling into my garage has changed from leaving the garage door open for several hours to let some of the engine heat dissipate, to plugging the charger into the car if my estimated stored mileage is less than 160 miles. It is just a great experience to never have to make that once a week trip to the gas station.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selecting the Right Technologies to Solve the Climate Crisis

CBO Report on Transportation Sector Shows CO2 Emissions Could Start Moving in the Right Direction

Could we be facing a rapid destruction of the world’s forests?